Friday, September 9, 2011

Willkommen!

Hello, awesome people, and welcome to the Angie Atkinson Music blog!

I'm still buzzing from my latest gig at my favorite spot here in the city, Gizzi's Cafein the heart of The Village. I have the day off, which is a rare treat. I'm watching Star Trek: The Next Generation reruns on NetFlix while anxiously awaiting the even rarer treat of lunch via delivery (a greasy cheeseburger and fries…I can't wait). And I am filled with gratitude.

Angie Atkinson Gizzi's
Outside Gizzi's. Photo by Mark D. Whyte


Just last August, after an epiphanic summer stint at Texas Shakespeare Festival, I returned to New York City with a few songs and a brand new dream. Well, sort of an old one, really. I've always wanted to be a singer, but I sort of fell into acting because I enjoyed the safety barrier of playing a different character. As an actor, you're truthful and honest on stage, but truthful and honest inside someone else's skin. As a singer, it's just you up there. Just you and your feelings, and that's a scary proposition.

But I bit the bullet and dove in head first. And in the space of a year, I wrote and made demo recordings of an entire album's worth of material, released a single, shot a music video, put together an amazing group of musicians to play gigs with, played a whole bunch of gigs with said musicians, and started the ball rolling on what has become one of the most fantastic rides of my life, which is sharing my music with all of you.

Right now I'm amping up for a busy fall. I'm getting ready to launch an IndieGoGo project to raise money for studio time, so I can finally record and produce the album I've been working on this year. I've got a lot of shows coming up this month and next, including the premiere of my music video for my single, "Right Into You," at Gizzi's at 7pm on October 21st! I'm also going to be a part of CMJ's music festival this year with a 7pm set at R-Bar. I can't wait! I hope to see all of your beautiful faces at these and all my other upcoming shows.

Which reminds me...

I overcame a lot of obstacles and fears to get here. It feels amazing to be in this place of exciting new beginnings, and I couldn't have done it without all the love and support of my amazing fans, friends and family. You guys have absolutely blown my mind and made my heart explode by encouraging me and believing in my dream. I'm so grateful to have such an awesome support system, which is why I started this blog. Since you guys have made this journey possible, I want you to go on it with me. And I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I do!

Now, if you'll excuse me, that greasy cheeseburger is here. And Jean Luc looks like he's about to say something important.

While I enjoy my burger, here's a video of my cover of Lady Gaga's "You and I."


No comments:

Post a Comment